Thursday, November 1, 2007

Let's Do The Time Warp Again!!

I am the room mom for my sons third grade class. I really enjoy being involved in my kids schools and I even like the parties (for the most part )but I have to be the most ill suited person for this job. It's the other moms that really get under my skin. Sometimes I think that I am just trying unsuccessfully to stuff myself into the mom mold. I love my kids and I love being their mother, but I am not a conventional "mom". I seem to be a little more in my head than everyone else. It used to really bother me but that's just who I am and I've learned to be OK with it. School parties seem to make the differences more apparent though, and I feel a little weighed down by them. The party seemed to go well, even with my constant over analysis. I did, however, have one weird, surreal moment.

While the kids worked on their art project and ate all of the great treats we played a CD of Halloween music in the background. So I'm walking around helping the kids pack up their uneaten snacks and I hear it, "I remember, doing the time warp!!". I stopped dead in my tracks, this is so out of context. I have seen the Rocky Horror Picture Show many, many times and I have danced to this song countless times and none have been stranger than this. I thought, for a minute that I might wake up, bleary eyed, at a party post high school and have the last fifteen years be some sort of drunken hallucination. About that time someone spilled their juice and I had to snap out of it, but it was a cool moment.

1 comment:

The Other Laura said...

Dude! I wish I could have been there to see your face!

About Me

Gresham, Oregon
I am a thirty three year old mother of three. After many many years of being a stay at home mom I am beginning the process of sorting out what I want to do with my life.