Saturday, October 20, 2007

Feeling the Rain

It has been a stormy few days here in Oregon. I always love this time of year. The storms can be very dramatic which is nice after a summer of sunshine every day. My middle son had soccer this morning, in the pouring rain. My darling husband went to the game without the soccer balls so I got the call and had to go for a drive to the soccer field. At first I was annoyed, but I ended up having a great time. I drove in the rain and listened to Brandi Carslile very loud, it was fun. I even enjoyed trudging through the completely soaked soccer field. My son was complaining a lot, he thinks he's getting frostbite on his leg, he might have pneumonia coming on, etc. I explained to him that this game will probably stick around in his memory, while the others fade together. He was unimpressed.
This is my second fall in Oregon. There is a huge part of me that wants a New England fall and winter. It's an almost physical wanting. It hurts to miss a good Maine autumn, and the first peaceful, silent, snowfall. I am making an effort to enjoy the Oregon seasons this year, and it's working, sort of. I need to make peace with where we are now, but deep down I want to be back in the northeast. I have had several very vivid dreams where I am walking in the Maine woods. They are more vivid and real than any dreams I've ever had. I guess that Maine will always feel like home to me. Some people have the towns or houses they grew up in that they go back to on holidays and it feels like going home. For me it is the cold breeze that leaves your face numb, and the crunch of snow underfoot that makes me fee like I'm back where I belong. I'm hoping to get to the place where I don't miss it quite so much.

No comments:

About Me

Gresham, Oregon
I am a thirty three year old mother of three. After many many years of being a stay at home mom I am beginning the process of sorting out what I want to do with my life.